- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 medium (1 pound) eggplant, cut into 1 inch chunks
- 1 red bell pepper, coarsely chopped
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup canned diced tomatoes
- 2 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 3/4 pound Yukon gold potatoes (about 3 potatoes), cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke
- salt and pepper to taste
- Coat the bottom of a large pot with olive oil and place it over medium heat. When the oil is hot, add the eggplant. Sauté until lightly browned, about 10 minutes. Add bell pepper, onion, and garlic to the pot. Continue to sauté until peppers and onions are tender, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle in the flour, stirring constantly, until it coats the veggies evenly.
- Add tomatoes, broth, sweet paprika, smoked paprika, thyme, bay leaf, potatoes, soy sauce, sugar, and liquid smoke to the pot. Raise heat to high and bring to a simmer. Lower heat and allow to simmer, uncovered, until the potatoes are fork tender, stirring occasionally, about 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and season with salt and pepper to taste. Remove and discard the bay leaf. Serve.
* If your eggplant has been hanging around for a while, or shows some brown spots when you cut into it, be sure to salt it. Chop the eggplant, then place it into a colander and sprinkle generously with salt. Allow to sit for 30 minutes, then rinse off the salt, pat the pieces dry, and proceed with the recipe